Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Fabrication and publication

Some Universities in Japan hurt their reputation by research misconducts. In a laboratory, a certain researcher explained that a refrigerator in his laboratory had exploded together with his research products. In another laboratory, a researcher stated that the container with their research products had fallen into the sea. Thus, their data disappeared by such inexplicable accidents.
In the BMB2007 conference, a symposium was held for the scientific misconduct. In the symposium, some speakers made an appeal to us to recover our scientific conscience. But is the conscience sufficient to prevent research misconduct? I do not think so. I consider that the primary underlying cause is to put priority on publishing in high impact journals.
Of course, I wish to do good research work and report it in a good journal. But I do not like to do my research just to publish in high impact journals. Why do we have to quantify the worth of an article by the impact factor? That is ridiculous. As like impact factor, the citation frequency is not a good indicator for the worth. In addition, publication is not the patent system. We can share our knowledge with other scientists through our reports.
I would be rather a pioneer in the unexplored field than a follower in the garden. Be a pirate? OK. I do not wish to join the navy.

No comments: