Monday, June 30, 2008

Lancelet

The genome sequence of lancelet (Branchiostoma floridae) was reported in the current issue of Nature. Both tunicates and lancelets have been considered to be organisms closely related to the vertebrates. In this report, the authors compared whole-genomes among the three chordate groups (tunicates, lancelets and vertebrates) and revealed that Cephalochordata (i.e. lancelets) is the ancestral organisms of the vertebrates, and the Urochordata (i.e. tunicate) is only a sister group. Lancelets have Wnt family, an important molecules for axial development, while tunicate lost these genes during evolution.
I tried to find lancelet genes homologous to genes that I have investigated in my research work. I failed to find it, and felt that I was cheated by my ancestor.

I bought two sea pineapples ("Hoya"), an edible ascidian, last night. Sea pineapple is a grotesque creature, but I like it. I saw a picture of lancelets on the front cover of the journal. They are cute. Lancelets seem to be edible too, but I have no experience of having them.

No comments: