Monday, February 18, 2008

Obstetric and pediatric problems

Mari and I have a plan to have a second child in the future. So it is important for us to know what state the obstetric and pediatric cares are in.
Sometimes I heard on the news that emergent pregnant women had been refused admission by many hospitals. Some commentators insisted that there is no issue if pregnant women have regular prenatal checkups. But I am very concerned about it, because that indicates that the maternity services have little capacity for emergent delivery. In Japan, a number of pediatricians and obstetricians retired due to the bad working conditions. I cannot fully trust these services in Japan even if my wife will have regular prenatal checkups in the hospital.
When Ken was born in the hospital, I and Mari were left in the delivery room while she had bad postpartum bleeding. Sometimes she pushed the nurse call button but there was no response. It was broken, and I had to call for the nurse. It is no wonder so many people consider that the system for these services should be improved.
I heard that the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare of Japan decided to raise the medical remuneration for obstetric and pediatric doctors. I do not know this action will have any effect on obstetrical and pediatric problems, and on low birthrate in Japan. Perhaps it is only a palliative treatment.

No comments: