Saturday, February 16, 2008

Marmalade

On Sunday, I had an interview for a position of assistant professor in a University in Japan. It was covered with snow and I worried about traffic conditions. The interview took about 30 minutes and I failed to sell myself. An interviewer told me just to relax.
After that, I met my family at the station. Mari went to a theater to watch the movie "L--change the world", and I and ken waited her on a bench. But we moved to the food store because an old man near us acted very suspicious. After a while Mari joined us and bought some brands of chocolate. We had dinner in a Chinese restaurant.
The next day, I made marmalade from iyo-kan, a sort of Japanese orange. I boiled the peel of iyo-kan and removed white pith from it. I cut it into pieces, boiled again, added the pulp and sugar, heated for 10 min stirring continuously, poured it into a sterilized jar, and voila. Subsequently I adjusted the flavor of blueberry jam made by Mari. I added lemon and grape juice to it and gave her the reformed jam.
I know that the term "marmalade" is derived from a French phrase "Marie est malade", which means "Marie (Mary, Queen of Scots) is sick". Sure, Mari was very sick of me.

No comments: