Saturday, June 27, 2009

Best dads

FATHER'S DAY PICTURES: "Best" Animal Dads

The "best" fathers in animals are: seahorse, giant water bug, marmoset, South America's greater rhea, barking frog, cockroach, emperor penguin, and me.

The word "cockroach" implies deadbeat dads, but some kinds of cockroach fathers nurse their young. Male seahorses carry babies in their specialized pouch during their "pregnancy". Male marmosets in South America act as "midwives" during birth, and carry, feed, and groom their twin babies. Emperor penguin fathers endure below-freezing temperatures and forgo food to incubate their eggs for several months. Finally, I dedicate myself to care for Mari and Ken and feed them for some decade (probably).


Ken drew a picture of my face on father's day at his daycare. He points the picture and says me everyday, "dad, you are so small!" What's that all about?

No comments: